Sunday 22 April 2012

Burda burden

I was wondering why Burda sold the patterns from the magazine as standalone
patterns on their website. Surely it would just be cheaper to buy the
magazine since it's less than £5 and get loads of patterns including the
ones you want!

This was before I had tried to use a patterns from the magazine. When
unfolded, this is one page of the pattern sheet.



I have to find the right green line in all of this to trace (and of course the
colours don't show through tracing paper!). And mark all the notches etc.
So clearly people who buy their patterns are people who value their
eyesight and sanity!

Still I have persevered and got the pattern I wanted traced off and cut
out. I will blog about how it turns out - also my first attempt at sewing
with knit fabric - eek!

And of course I have my eye on some lovely patterns from the May issue but
I'll see how this one goes first. Initial tissue fit seemed fine but I have
added extra length and moved the dart down slightly (just like I know what
I'm doing!). Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne,
    I popped over from Did You Make That? and thought I'd say hello! The Village Haberdashery has lots of lovely fabrics, doesn't it? Looking forward to seeing your Burda top - good luck with the knit fabric! I'm making PJ bottoms for Karen's Pyjama party at the moment, and then plan to make a Sorbetto next. Baby steps!
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tessa! Thanks for the lovely comment! I love the Village haberdashery but I am sitting on my hands trying not to buy anything until i finish the pile of stuff I have planned already. Must. Stop. Buying. Fabric. i do love my Sorbetto though and have plans for at least another couple. Good luck with the PJs!

      Delete
  2. Someone once said those things look like Japanese metro maps, I think they may be right!!

    Something I have just started doing with my own pattern copying which might help(I recently took the Couture Dress class on Craftsy and it has suddenly opened up all these new ideas to me)... Instead of trying to trace your line through paper, put your pattern paper underneath, with a sheet of carbon transfer paper(I use Saral paper which comes on a roll) between the two, then trace along the line on the original with your wheel/stylus. That way you can see exactly which line you are tracing. (I wish I had worked this out a long time ago!). I also use greaseproof paper (baking parchment) for small pieces as its so see through.

    Welcome to the blogosphere, I'm a terrible blogger, far too busy reading other people's blogs despite all my best intentions! I do sew for my little girl too so please come by and have a peek at some of the stuff I've made. Looking forward to seeing some of your finished projects :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Have just worked out you are in UK, so if you want to try out the Saral paper (and I can really recommend it - you can trace onto fabric with it too and it comes in different colors), then I get mine from Cotton Patch, that's the cheapest UK supplier unless http://www.kalquilts.com restock - at the moment they only have a couple of rolls of blue left.

      Delete
    2. That is such a good idea. I will check those out (and your blog Molly!). I also spend far more time reading than blogging. Which is stupid considering the limited time I have for actual sewing!

      Delete
  3. I seem to remember someone saying they put post it notes along the edge of the pattern they were tracing, it helped them follow the right line. I have never had the urge to torture myself by tracing a pattern from a Burda magazine. Yet. Mind you I am in Canada, where we can get cheaper patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!